SERIES: MIND UNDER CONSTRUCTION: #3. THE IMPACT OF CHANGED THINKING
James Allen, “You are today where your thoughts have brought you. You will be tomorrow where your thoughts take you.”
It is easy to believe that unsuccessful people need to change their thinking. The challenge is with people who have achieved some success. Here is the truth, you can not go to the next level without changing the way you think. See life as a ladder they have many steps to clean my to rise. When you reach the top there is another ladder higher, you have to come down to rise up.
I have seen people get a measure of success and then they stop and get stuck. Your level of thinking gets you to a place and most get comfortable and stop.
When i went on my discovery journey to change my life by changing my thinking, i realized i could not grow anymore till I expanded my thinking. I read my bible, read and studied personal growth books, I went and spent thousands on seminars of personal growth and leadership.
You have to work on you to grow you. Novelist Leo Tolstoy observed, “Everyone thinks of changing the world, but no one thinks of changing himself.”
When you begin to change form the inside out, you will begin to attract what you want and need and desire.
Why Change Your Thinking????? Good God Thinking can do many things for you; generate revenue, solve problems, and create opportunities. It can and will take you to a whole new level—personally and professionally. It really can change your life.
Key Verse: “Finally, believers, whatever is true, whatever is honorable and worthy of respect, whatever is right and confirmed by God’s word, whatever is pure and wholesome, whatever is lovely and brings peace, whatever is admirable and of good repute; if there is any excellence, if there is anything worthy of praise, think continually on these things [center your mind on them, and implant them in your heart].” PHILIPPIANS 4:8 AMP
THINGS YOU NEED TO KNOW ABOUT CHANGING YOUR THINKING:
1. Changed Thinking Is Not Automatic: Change in thinking does not just happen. To many people just think its gonna happen because they want it. Wanting will not make it happen. If you want to become a better thinker you need to work at it—once you begin to become a better thinker, the good ideas will keep coming. Just praying for your thinking will not change your thinking. Faith and Works must work together to accomplish the supernatural.
2. Changed Thinking Is Difficult: Albert Einstein said, “Thinking is hard work; thats why so few do it.” Unless you get intentional It wont just happen.
3. Changed Thinking Is WorthThe Investment: Napoleon Hill said, “More gold has been mined from the thoughts of man than has ever been taken from the earth.” When you choose to develope your thinking you are investing in yourself. A human mind with the ability to think well is like a diamond mine that never runs out. Its priceless.
4. Changed Thinking Is The Best Gift You Can Give Others: Author H. L. Mencken said, “My guess is that well over 80 percent of the human race goes through life without a single original thought,” You can not give away what you do not possess. If you have faith you can give faith, If you have love, you give love away, If you have changed thinking you can help others. When you give changed thinking you give someone the gift of unlimited potential.
People ask themselves these questions, “Why am I this way?” Many people want change, but they don’t do anything differently so that they can change. People hope things will get better, but get frustrated when things don’t. Only when you make the right changes to your thinking do other things begin to turn out right in your life. We try changing everything and everyone but changing our thinking is the last thought.
As a leader I learned I cannot change a persons thinking. I teach the value of changed thinking and how to make those necessary changes. You must be responsible to make the changes.
Here is the process:
Step 1. Changing Your Thinking Changes Your Beliefs:
Karen Ford, “People will never attain what they cannot see themselves doing.” This is why most people just give up and survive, give up ever really living.
Do not just give up. Giving up is a mindset just like winning is a mindset. There is no reason to give up and live an unfulfilling life. Your mind can change. Change is one of the things it does best. If your willing to put in the effort to change your thinking. As you strive to change your thinking, tell yourself these three things: CHANGE IS PERSONAL–I HAVE TO CHANGE CHANGE IS POSSIBLE–I AM ABLE TO CHANGE CHANGE IS PROFITABLE–I WILL BE REWARDED BY CHANGE
When you change your thinking, you change your Beliefs.
2. CHANGING YOUR BELIEFS CHANGES YOUR EXPECTATIONS
The only thing that stands between you and what you want from life is merely the will to try and the faith to believe that it is possible. A belief is not just an idea that you possess; it is an idea that possesses you . A belief holds great power, because it changes a persons EXPECTATIONS.
What you believe creates your expectations. If you expect to succeed you probably will, if you expect to fail, you probably will. You get what you expect.
3. CHANGING YOUR EXPECTATIONS CHANGES YOUR ATTITUDE A man walked in to a fortune tellers tent at a carnival and paid to have his palm read. “I see many things,” she said. Like what? The man asked. “You will be poor and unhappy until you are forty-five,” she said. “Oh,” he said then he had a thought. “What will happen when I’m 45?” “You will get used to it.” Our expectations have a huge impact on our attitudes.
Ben Franklin, “Blessed is he who expects nothing, for he shall receive it.” Negative expectations are a quick route to dead-end thinking. Positive expectation brings a positive attitude. They produce excitement, conviction, desire, confidence, commitment, and energy—all the characteristics that help a person to achieve success. If you want to possess these qualities in greater abundance, raise the level of your expectation.
Remember, Eror from Winnie the Pooh, he was always complaining and negative about everything.
4. CHANGING YOUR ATTITUDE CHANGES YOUR BEHAVIOR Seen how moods affects the way you act? We call them moody. When you feel happy you are energized. Feeling happy you are kinder, you will take on task with confidence and competence. Think when your having a really trying or bad day, Do you get less work done? Are you less patient with family, others.
Our emotions are the driving powers of our lives.
What is an Attitude? I believe…. It is the “advance man” of our true selves. Its roots are inward but its fruit is outward. It is our best friend or our worst enemy. It is more honest and more consistent than our words. It is an outward look based on past experiences. It is a thing which draws people to us or repels them. It is the librarian of our past. It is the speaker of our present. It is the prophet of our future.
An attitude is little more than a mood or predominant emotion sustained over time. Psychologist William James said, “That which holds our attention determines our action.” In other words, YOUR BEHAVIOR FOLLOWS YOUR ATTITUDE. IF YOU WANT TO KNOW WHAT IS IN YOUR HEART LOOK AT YOUR BEHAVIOR.
“Watch over your heart with all diligence, For from it flow the springs of life.” PROVERBS 4:23 AMP
“Be careful what you think, because your thoughts run your life.” Proverbs 4:23 NCV
Head is conscious short term thoughts, Heart is the sub-conscious The beliefs systems which are long term. This is the hard drive running your life.
Its not what we say it is what we do that shows what is in our hearts. Our behavior shows. What you do says more than what you say.
5. CHANGING YOUR BEHAVIOR CHANGES YOUR PERFORMANCE Reaching new goals and moving to a higher level of performance always requires change, and change feels awkward. If change does not feel uncomfortable, then its probably not really a change.
Belief without performance will never produce desired results. It is like planting seeds in your garden, watering the garden until they sprout, then failing to continue to water and weed thereafter. Likewise, a person caught by procrastination in the stony and thorny ground of mere belief, will never reap the fruits of his ideals.” Loyd J. Ericson
“The things which you have learned and received and heard and seen in me, practice these things [in daily life], and the God [who is the source] of peace and well-being will be with you.” PHILIPPIANS 4:9 AMP
Things you learned, received, heard, and seen in me, practice these things in daily life. What? Commitment, faithfulness, consistent, focused, honest, integrity,
6. CHANGING YOUR PERFORMANCE CHANGES YOUR LIFE
When you change your performance–that is, what you do on a consistent basis–then you have the power to change your life.
Progress always requires change. Going to a new level always requires changing your mind. David had to change his thinking to go from a shepherd boy, change in his thinking and beliefs, to move into a giant killer, but then he had to change another upper level to go from a giant killer to leader of the Armies, but he then had to change his thinking and beliefs to lead as a King.