I LOVE MY CHURCH: We do not go to church, we are the church. Christ’s Body We are His Body,
Share your faith,
Helping and Serving,
Belonging Family of God
The church is the family of God. The key word is family. God created the function of the church to function like that of the family. We will explore the purpose, power, position of the family of God the Church.
Someone said when the family goes so goes the nation.
Family is not an important thing, it’s everything.
God throughout the Bible refers and makes comparisons of the church like family.
Husbands love your wives as Christ loves the church. Wives honor and respect husband as unto the Lord.
Bible refers to the church as the bride of Christ.
I believe one of the major challenges we face as the Church is most families today are dysfunctional.
Dysfunctional means it does not function properly or normal. It’s breaking down in its function. This was originally a medical term for body organs. Like the kidney is dysfunctional so they had to go on dialyses.
This is a challenge for many to flow in the church. The church was created by God to love, grow, safe, teach and develop His Children. God refers to us as His Children and He is our Father.
Family, Organized. Anything that is not organized is unorganized or dysfunctional. This is the push today in the Christian world. We want church with no structure or order.
That is dysfunctional and chaos at best.
Imagine children or young people growing up with no family, no structure, no love, no direction, no purpose but just raw survival.
“Call it a clan, call it a network, call it a tribe, call it a family: Whatever you call it, whoever you are, you need one.”
“In family life, love is the oil that eases friction, the cement that binds closer together, and the music that brings harmony.”
The family God, the Church is so important to to God that Jesus died for it. God made sure we got the Bible with instructions to build, develop our church and families according to His Model, not the worlds.
Then [in the final time] I will give you [spiritual] shepherds after My own heart, who will feed you with knowledge and [true] understanding.
Jeremiah 3:15 AMP
In the family this is the fathers place.
Church is modeled after the family.
Let’s look at the Family of God the church. These are the words of Jesus or Lord and Savior. The Family of God is deeper than our blood family. Let’s see how Jesus sees it.
While He was still talking to the crowds, it happened that His mother and brothers stood outside, asking to speak to Him. Someone said to Him, “Look! Your mother and Your brothers are standing outside asking to speak to You.” But Jesus replied to the one who told Him, “Who is My mother and who are My brothers?” And stretching out His hand toward His disciples [and all His other followers], He said, “Here are My mother and My brothers! For whoever does the will of My Father who is in heaven [by believing in Me, and following Me] is My brother and sister and mother.”
Matthew 12:46-50 AMP
Jesus blood Mother, Mary and brother show up to His meeting. Mary the woman who had the immaculate conception of Jesus. She carried Him 9 months and birthed Jesus and she show up and asks to speak to Him.
Who ever received them says to Jesus your mother and brother are here to speak to you. Notice it says,”HE WAS STILL TALKING TO THE CROWDS.”
Jesus was in church teaching and preaching the Kingdom of God, mom and brother shows up and look at his response.
“But Jesus replied to the one who told Him, “Who is My mother and who are My brothers?”
Matthew 12:48 AMP
Jesus chooses to to answer the request with a question. He says, “WHO IS MY MOTHER AND WHO ARE MY BROTHERS?”
Jesus is getting ready to show us a huge deep truth about family and the Family of God.
We all have family. We all had a mom and a father to begin your journey on earth. Good, bad, or even ugly you have some level of natural family members. Many of those relationships are not very close. Reason is family relationships, blood as we call it are many times natural, many times are dysfunctional. They do not operate with the principles of God and order.
In natural families we see jealousy, bitterness, unforgiveness, rivalry, selfishness, disrespect and dishonor.
There is a huge difference between the family and family of God. Gods desire is for the family to model his family. He tells us in our word how our families should operate and be in order. The challenge is many people do not follow His Word and order. There is mans way and Gods way.
Jesus was not showing disrespect to his mom Mary nor His brother. He was teaching a higher truth about the Family of God.
Family will always be family. Someone said, “blood is thicker than water, Jesus blood is much more thicker than physical blood”.
“And stretching out His hand toward His disciples [and all His other followers], He said, “Here are My mother and My brothers!”
Matthew 12:49 AMP
Jesus was sharing with a deep truth that is so simple and yet powerful.
It says that Jesus stretches his hands out towards His Disciples and all His other followers. His disciples and followers is His church family.
This family is much more Functional and powerful because it is an Eternal Family governed by Gods principles and order.
LOVE, HONOR, RESPECT, CARING, SERVING, SUPPORTING, ENCOURAGING, TEACHING, GIVING. THIS FAMILY IS THE FAMILY WE DO GODS LIFE TOGETHER WITH.
JESUS WAS SHOWING US THE MOST POWERFUL AND MOST BLESSED FAMILY TO BE APART OF AND DO LIFE TOGETHER WITH.
LISTEN HOW JESUS DESCRIBES HIS TRUE FAMILY, WHICH IS THE FAMILY I CHOOSE TO DO LIFE AND BUILD HIS KINGDOM TOGETHER WITH.
Jesus pointed to His disciples and followers these are my brothers and mother.
These disciples were from different countries, different cultures, different colors, different economical levels, different family up rings. They were different in every way but the glue was Jesus. They had chosen to follow Jesus, live by His Word and order their lives by His Principles.
MATTHEW WAS Tax Collector. Despised by most. Wealthy Andrew, Peter, James and John fisherman. Simon a zealot. A political activist, politician. Judas a thief.
Matthew 12:50 AMP For whoever does the will of My Father who is in heaven [by believing in Me, and following Me] is My brother and sister and mother.
This is my family. My Eternal Jesus Family. I can count on this family. Jesus was putting down our earthly family but showing a much deeper and closer and more united family.
10 Characteristics of a Healthy Family Church.
1. OBEDIENCE: Obedience to the Lord is more important than the exercise of religious ceremony. It doesn’t matter how we feel about our church or our worship if we are not obeying the Lord. Luke 6:46 AMP “Why do you call Me, ‘Lord, Lord,’ and do not practice what I tell you?”
2. HUMILITY: Family of God is not about titles or position, that is religion. Religion says look at me I am the leader. It is filled with members who willingly serve the Lord and one another.“Do nothing from selfishness or empty conceit [through factional motives, or strife], but with [an attitude of] humility [being neither arrogant nor self-righteous], regard others as more important than yourselves.” Philippines 2:3-4
3. LOVE: Biblical Love is not an emotion; it is an act of sacrifice. Love is meeting needs of
others. 1 John 3:16-18
4. JOY: Joy is our response to God’s work in our heart, soul and mind.
5. GRATITUDE: Family of God grateful for each other, grateful for all that has given us, grateful for DCI. Grateful for God the Father, Jesus, the Holy Spirit.
6. ACCOUNTABILITY: In a healthy church family, members are concerned for one another.
They recognize that the church is a body and that God designed us to be accountable, not only to Him, but also to one another for spiritual growth, health and help in times of struggle.
Brothers, if anyone is caught in any sin, you who are spiritual [that is, you who are responsive to the guidance of the Spirit] are to restore such a person in a spirit of gentleness [not with a sense of superiority or self-righteousness], keeping a watchful eye on yourself, so that you are not tempted as well. Carry one another’s burdens and in this way you will fulfill the requirements of the law of Christ [that is, the law of Christian love]. For if anyone thinks he is something [special] when [in fact] he is nothing [special except in his own eyes], he deceives himself.
Galatians 6:1-3 AMP
8. FORGIVENESS: The church cannot survive without forgiveness. Why? Because we are not perfect people, and relationships are messy. There are no real relationships without both the need for and the giving of forgiveness.
9. VISION: A healthy church maintains an attitude of hope for the future. Indeed, death comes when memories of the past supersede vision for the future. We need a sense of vision for our own growth in grace and for the growth of our church outreach.
10. SACRIFICE: When it comes to fulfilling the mission of the church, the question is not, “How much does it cost?” but, “Who can we reach with the gospel?” A godly vision is worthy of sacrifice. A healthy church family isn’t a perfect church; it is a growing church. It is a church where we are submitted to the Lord and functioning as a church body in the ways He designed the church to function. And it is a church whose spiritual health enables it to continue reaching the lost with the gospel of Jesus Christ.
GOD SO LOVED THE WORLD THAT HE GAVE HIS SON…