The other night we were having a conversation about imitation. You could call it the how children imitate or pick up traits from parents. We are talking and my daughter Falicidy shares she had this challenge with DaisyRose and she she had been making this statement to her mom and dad about herself. She would say to them,”You guys just don’t get me.” They thought it was really odd and dealt with it. The other night sitting talking Pastor Yvonne blurts out to Falicidy and me,”You guys just don’t get me.” Falicidy’s eyes lite up, and it was so oh my gosh moment. Falicidy is refreshed because she now knows where the influence came from. Daisy was sitting there and her little face lite up with the biggest smile and cheese grin, with oh my gosh look.
Children do not really know how to act so they watch and then do what they see and hear. We call this imitating.
1. to follow or endeavor to follow as a model or example: 2. to mimic; impersonate:
3. to have or assume the appearance of; simulate; resemble.
Imitate, copy, duplicate, reproduce all mean to follow or try to follow an example or pattern.
“Therefore become imitators of God [copy Him and follow His example], as well-beloved children [imitate their father]; and walk continually in love [that is, value one another–practice empathy and compassion, unselfishly seeking the best for others], just as Christ also loved you and gave Himself up for us, an offering and sacrifice to God [slain for you, so that it became] a sweet fragrance.”
EPHESIANS 5:1-2 AMP
“Watch what God does, and then you do it, like children who learn proper behavior from their parents. Mostly what God does is love you. Keep company with him and learn a life of love. Observe how Christ loved us. His love was not cautious but extravagant. He didn’t love in order to get something from us but to give everything of himself to us. Love like that.”
Ephesians 5:1-2 MSG
This is pretty straight forward. BECOME IMITATORS OF GOD. Watch what God does and do it. Ok. To imitate God, is to copy Him, follow His example.
The word says BECOME, so this means a process, it is not a zap and it over and done. This is imitate.
A child learns from its parents b cause they are together. They are close enough together to be able to see and hear so they can imitate them.
Stop for a moment. Think if your a parent about your children. How do they act? How do they treat others? How do they deal with problems and challenges? How do they act when they are afraid or hurt? Can you see your influence or the influence of someone else in them?
Pastor Yvonne is always saying Falicidy is so much like me. My son she says is so much like her. He says it so smooth he says he has the best of us both. Hahah.
Children imitate what they see and hear, by being around the parents.
How will you ever become like God? Jesus said He only what He seen in His Father and only says what His father has Him say.
How will you know what Jesus is like? Be in relationship with God is the start. Then where will you see how He acts? Bible.
The Word is filled with His ways and actions. You must read the letters of your Lord to know Him and see how He lives and loves.
Jesus is??????? If you could of grown up around Jesus this is what you would of see, and heard.
1. Faithful! Even as a child his family left and realized their child was not wish them. When they went back they found young Jesus teaching in the temple. He told them He must be about His Fathers business. What is faithful to you? What is a faithful Christian, believer? What does faithful look like to you??? The disciples that traveled, ministered, helped him, served with him He called them faithful.
2. Prayerful. Prayer is direct communication or communion with God. Let’s go into your homes. Prayer? More is caught than taught. We live in a world where our children are imitating the tv, videos, internet, schools, etc. What are they really seeing and hearing in the homes. I came across this video about children imitating adults but it was to graphic to show here. Shows a mom yelling at another driver and cussing them out and the child is doing the same. Dad drinking and smoking and the child is doing the same. Dad abusing the wife, so the child is doing the same thing to siblings.
3. Wisdom. “And Jesus kept increasing in wisdom and in stature, and in favor with God and men.” LUKE 2:52 AMP
1. knowledge or learning gained over time, good sense, a wise attitude, belief, or course of action. Wisdom true comes from Gods Word. All of these from Gods Word and Ways.
4. Virtuous. “Don’t allow love to turn into lust, setting off a downhill slide into sexual promiscuity, filthy practices, or bullying greed. Though some tongues just love the taste of gossip, those who follow Jesus have better uses for language than that. Don’t talk dirty or silly. That kind of talk doesn’t fit our style. Thanksgiving is our dialect.”
Ephesians 5:3-4 MSG
Jesus Christ is pure and virtuous. If we are to be virtuous like the Savior in an unclean world, we must turn away from things that pollute our minds, bodies, and spirits. Choosing carefully our entertainment!!!!! Your children will see you and usually go a few steps farther. I remember adults thought I was weird for not allowing the watching of rated R movies in my house or certain types of music. I did it for my children. I told them when they got old enough and lived on their own they could then make the choices for themselves. This is so difficult because of the tv and internet. They say the average child will see his or hers first exposed to porno graphic images by age 5 now. A few years ago it was age 12. Things are accelerating in our world and not in a good way. I remember calling it the birds and bees. It’s a real challenge today. His word is our example.
I am not saying go fanatic, but use wisdom and please see what’s going on in your homes. Become aware.
5. Humble. Jesus showed this virtue when He got down and washed peters and the others feet. I did it once in a not planned service. It really is a humbling act.
God says He opposes the proud but gives grace to the humble.
6. Obedient. “But Jesus said, “No, blessed are those who hear the teaching of God and obey it.””
Luke 11:28 NCV
7. Patient. Love is patient. 1 Corinthians 13.
8. Charitable. Seeing others in need and helping by giving. It’s a heart thing. Jesus was moved and feed 5000.
9. Giving. She said where your treasure is there will your heart be. One of the biggest challenges for humans is giving money. Jesus said you cannot serve God and mammon. God put in His word about giving our tithe, offerings, seed, it shows where and who we put our faith in. The little widow who gave 2 mites. Jesus said she gave from her heart and she gave the most because she gave huge compared to what she had left. Trusting Gods system or mammon is the two. You must choose.
10. Forgiving. Jesus said it best. If you do not forgive God cannot forgive you.